Saturday, November 9, 2019

Balance and 50

This morning I was reading some blogs and came across this one about being fifty and being content with who you are, and not worrying about pleasing anyone else anymore.   I read it and at first I was like "Amen Sister!" and "You go girl!" because this lady is so tired of dieting and eating salads so she can please everyone else.  She's accepted who she is and has made peace with that.  Good for her.

I agree with her entirely, almost.   I think at age 50 it's important to make peace with yourself.   I, for example, have decided to "let" myself go gray.  I actually like it so I don't know if I'm making peace with anything.   I don't get my eyebrows waxed anymore because, well, it hurts.   I don't shave my legs much in the winter, unless the friction between my leg hair and my pants is making me uncomfortable.   Go ahead, judge me.  I'm done caring.

However, I think the thing many of us realize in our 50s is that we are indeed mortal.   This is our one and only chance at this life, and we only have one body to do it in.   So I think, and I think I'm not the only one, that there has to be a balance between saying, "I'm good with this, judge me if you want" and doing our best to do our best.

I do not go to the gym, and bike and limit my carbs and sugar intake because of what other's think of me or my body.   I do it because I want to be healthy and I want to stick around a while.

It's all about balance.

I hate being judged and I try really hard not to judge the choices other people make (okay, you can stop laughing now) but really.   It's your body.  Do what you want.   But remember you only get one.

This may be the shortest blog post I have ever written.  But really it's all I have to say.

Take Care of yourself.  Seriously.  Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Corona Letters #7

Dear Fellow Quarantiners, Well, it's official now, isn't it?  Our Governor has announced that Massachusetts residents must Shelter...